What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers like Juvederm, Stylage and Restylane consist of hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring polysaccharide that is already present in our skin and cartilage. Hyaluronic acid helps to hydrate the skin and provide volume.
Most brands of filler have extensive product lines that treat specific areas and concerns. Some products are thinner with less lifting capacity for fine lines and superficial injections like the tear troughs, while some are thicker with a larger lifting capacity and particle size for greater volume restoration and deeper injections like cheekbones and jawline contouring. All are made from Hyaluronic acid and are safe. Your doctor will determine the right filler for you based during your appointment.
There is an enzyme called Hyaluronidase naturally present in the body that dissolves Hyaluronic Acid fillers over time. In fact, injectors keep this enzyme on hand in case of complications such as vascular occlusion.
What do Dermal Fillers do?
Dermal fillers instantly add volume to smooth away wrinkles and restore youthful skin contours. Dermal fillers can take years off your face in minutes. Dermal fillers are specifically formulated to act like your own body’s hyaluronic acid. Dermal fillers offer tailored treatments to your individual appearance goals. During your consultation, your doctor will decide if dermal fillers are right for you and can develop a customized treatment plan to help you achieve your appearance goals.
How are Dermal Fillers Used?
Dermal fillers are injected to smooth wrinkles, fill lines and add volume to enhance facial features. Dermal fillers can be injected with either a needle or a blunt tip cannula or a combination of both. The cannula technique involves an initial small injection to create an entry point through which the cannula will be introduced. The cannula is a tiny plastic tube that is then used to distribute the product. Cannulas can help reduce swelling and bruising and are preferred in areas with high vascularity and large volume corrections. Our injectors will determine which technique is best for you based on your individualized assessment. Rest assured that our injectors are well versed in both methods.
How quickly will I see results?
With Dermal Fillers, the results can be seen instantly. Over the course of the next few weeks the filler will settle into position and absorb water, improving the initial effect.
What is the downtime expected?
Dermal fillers are non-surgical, there is no downtime required, allowing you to resume your daily activities immediately. There may be some swelling and bruising after the treatment. Your doctor will discuss post treatment guidelines that will help decrease inflammation and bruising times. It is very important to follow these guidelines.
How long does a Dermal Filler treatment take?
Treatments take about 30 minutes and your results will be visible as soon as the swelling subsides. The recommended time between treatments is 6-12 months.
What are the areas I can treat with dermal fillers?
Some areas where dermal fillers can be used include:
- Under Eyes/Tear Troughs
- Nasolabial folds/Smile lines
- Marionette lines
Can I get Botox/Dysport and Dermal Fillers at the same time?
Yes, they can be done at the same time.
How much do Dermal Fillers cost?
The price of dermal fillers varies upon the volume (amount of syringes) injected. This is highly individualized. Your doctor will determine the volume required after a thorough assessment and conversation about your aesthetic goals. You will be given an exact quote during your consultation.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of Perioral Herpes to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
- Avoid dental work (including standard teeth cleaning) at least 2 weeks prior to treatment and one month following treatment. Avoid oral surgery at least 4 weeks prior to treatment and one month following treatment.
- 7 DAYS BEFORE treatment (to prevent bruising): Avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve. Also avoid herbal supplements, such as Garlic, Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, and Omega-3 capsules. Please note: If you have a cardiovascular history, please check with your doctor prior to stopping use of Aspirin.
- 3 DAYS BEFORE treatment: Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, or any “anti-aging” products. Also avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
- Do not use Dermal Fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any of its ingredients, or suffer from any neurological disorders. Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the treatment.
Day of Treatment
- Arrive to the office with a “clean face”. Please do not wear makeup. You may bring your own makeup to apply after your treatment.
- To maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied. In some cases, a local numbing medication will be injected into or around the area(s) to be treated.
- You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or a stinging sensation following injection.
- To ensure a smooth and even correction, your provider may massage the area(s) treated, which may cause a temporary, minimal amount of redness to your skin.
- Arnica homeopathic granules &/or arnica gel are available for purchase after your treatment to help reduce swelling and bruising.
For all Patients Interested in Botox and/or Filler
Please note the following prior to your appointment at Dr.Badesha’s Mediworks Rejuvenation Centre:
- During your first appointment, you will be given information about Botox and Fillers. Dr.Badesha and his staff will ask you about your personal goals and interests, and then will make some suggestions based on their experience.
- Many patients choose to have treatment on the day of their consultation, but there is absolutely no obligation to do so! Please be sure that all of your questions are answered to your satisfaction before any treatment is undertaken.
- It is best to have Dermal Filler treatment done at least 2 weeks prior to a special event
- If you plan to have injections performed on the day of your consult, please follow pre-treatment instructions above.