Glutathione at Drip Lounge in South Surrey, BC
Talk to One of Our Naturopathic physicians Today for more information about Glutathione. For More Information Please call (604) 900-6629. We are Open 5 Days a Week for Your Convenience!
As you age the levels of this powerful antioxidant in your body and cells falls and it is further depleted by stress, infection, illness and exercise. It is known as the body’s master anti-oxidant since it is found to be effective in preserving good health and achieving longer life.
There are many benefits for the body with elevated glutathione levels. Its metabolic functions include:
- Enhanced immune function
- Elimination of toxins
- Elimination of carcinogens
- Antioxidant cell protection
- Protections against ionizing radiation
- DNA synthesis and repair
- Protein synthesis
- Prostaglandin synthesis
- Anino acid transport
- Enzyme activation and regulation
These functions can be summarized into three general categories:
1) Antioxidant – GSH is the most powerful antioxidant occurring naturally in your body. The effectiveness of other antioxidants like vitamins C and E depends on glutathione. This is described in the following pages.
2) Detoxifier – Dozens of toxins are eliminated by the GSH enzyme system, including drug metabolites, pollutants, carcinogens, and radiation damage. It’s no surprise that GSH concentrations are highest in the liver, the body’s major detoxifying organ.
3) Immune System Enhancer – The immune system is dependent upon GSH for its proper functioning, in particular the creation and maintenance of T-cell lymphocytes, the body’s frontline defense against infection.
The number of toxins our body has to deal with every day is truly remarkable. To cope with this burden a fit, rested, well-fed person must maintain adequate immunological and biochemical defense. The role played by GSH in these defense systems cannot be overstated. Glutathione detoxifies a large number of pollutants, carcinogens, heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides and radiation. We are exposed every day to toxins like cigarette smoke, automobile exhaust, food preservatives and dental amalgam and our body depends on GSH for their removal. Substances that raise GSH levels are being used with increasing frequency in the field of toxicology with considerable success. The immune system used various cells to fight off infection and other threats and the healthy growth and activity of these cells depends upon the availability of GSH.
Raising and maintaining GSH levels can minimize the risk of these diseases. Although only very ill people are severely deficient in GSH, those in good or fair health can benefit from GSH supplementation, especially in these days when we are exposed as never before to environmental toxins and drug resistant bacteria.
Without question, the best type of preventive medicine is an optimized immune system and critical strategy to optimize it is by feeding it GSH.
Possible clinical applications for elevated glutathione levels
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Macular degeneration
Prevent heart disease
- Prevent stroke
- Prevent atherosclerosis
- Prevent reperfusion injury
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Peptic Ulcer
- Certain drug overdoses
- Tobacco smoke, auto exhaust
- Pollutants including heavy metals, pesticides
- Prevents hearing loss from noise pollution
- Detoxifies many well-known carcinomas
Infectious disease and immunology
- Anti-viral (AIDS, hepatitis, herpes, common cold, etc.)
- Bacterial Infection
- Certain autoimmune dysfunction
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Cancer prevention
- Suppress tumor growth
- Eliminate Carcinogens, mutagens
- Retard oxidative damage to DNA
- Prevent wasting disease
- Ease side effects of chemo- and radiotherapy
- Break up mucus (esp. cystic fibrosis)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Enhances athletic performance
- Decreases recovery time from physical stress/injury
- Decreases cholesterol and oxidation of LDL
- Supports hemoglobin in kidney failure